Carl Skoog Photography

• Lowell_Skoog
  • [Lowell_Skoog]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
10 Feb 2007 19:31 - 11 Feb 2007 19:56 #177241 by Lowell_Skoog
Carl Skoog Photography was created by Lowell_Skoog
Carl's 48th birthday (born February 10, 1959) provides a good occasion for an update on his pictures.

Carl hard at work at Mt Baker ski area, Washington.

Last fall I spent over two months putting Carl's photo collection back in order. This was prompted by a request from Kris Kaiyala of The Ski Journal to run a photo tribute to Carl in their premiere issue. The journal has now been published and should be appearing in retail outlets soon.

Carl's family has established the non-profit Carl Skoog Memorial Fund to handle proceeds from the use of his photos, as well as donations that were made by his ski industry friends last year. The fund is administered by The Mountaineers Foundation to support projects that use photography to enhance or promote the benefit of public lands.

Like a snowy comet, Dean Collins streaks earthward in the Chugach Range, Alaska.

Now that Carl's photo collection is manageable, Carl's family has created an on-line gallery to showcase his work. It can be found on www.alpenglow.org or by clicking the "Gallery" link on Carl's homepage, www.carlskoog.com . The introductory page of the gallery contains a varied selection of Carl's work, not just skiing pictures.

Sunset clouds highlight Spider Mountain and Mount Formidable in the Glacier Peak Wilderness, Washington.

Eventually, we'll be adding more of Carl's pictures to the gallery. Carl took thousands of photos of the Mount Baker ski area alone, and his entire collection contains more than 100,000 slides. Charles Eldridge has given me permission to bend the "3-photo rule" and post more of Carl's photos in this thread from time to time. The Skoog family hopes you enjoy them.

Descending to periscope depth, avalanche instructor and guide Gary Brill disappears in the Crystal Mountain backcountry, Washington.

Background: My brother Carl Skoog died in a ski mountaineering accident in Argentina on October 17, 2005. The TAY thread about his death can be found here . Carl was a long-time Northwest backcountry skier and a professional photographer. More information about him can be found on his website, www.carlskoog.com .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Larry_R
  • [Larry_R]
More
11 Feb 2007 04:59 #177243 by Larry_R
Replied by Larry_R on topic Re: Carl Skoog Photography
Lowell,

Thanks so much to the Skoog family for all the work that went into putting Carl's photos on the web. Fantastic shots. It's a reminder too of how fickle life can be, and how much we should appreciate each and every day in the mountains.

Larry

• bc_skier
  • [bc_skier]
More
11 Feb 2007 08:23 #177245 by bc_skier
Replied by bc_skier on topic Re: Carl Skoog Photography
Lowell,

Even though we have never met, I feel I know you through your writing, and Carl’s photography.  For many years, Carl consistently shot and published some of the best ski photography in the Pacific Northwest and captured the essence and feelings many of us get while in the great outdoors.

Thank you for continually sharing his photographs with us.

bc_skier

• Jason_H.
  • [Jason_H.]
More
11 Feb 2007 15:45 #177247 by Jason_H.
Replied by Jason_H. on topic Re: Carl Skoog Photography
Thanks Lowell. Whenever I look at his photos it inspires and gives me ideas for photos I'd like to take. You can be happy that he lives on as an inspiration in me, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I look forward to more. Thanks for the effort. I know scanning slides can be a lot of work, and I couldn't imagine going through that many.

• skykilo
  • [skykilo]
More
12 Feb 2007 12:18 #177256 by skykilo
Replied by skykilo on topic Re: Carl Skoog Photography
The article in The Ski Journal is very nice.